Monday, November 24, 2008

Adventures in Ice-Skating

So yesterday, was the first time I went ice-skating this season. I decided that I needed to go. At least once. And I only like to really go when it is super cold out--for some reason, it just makes me feel...alive. So, Rich was coaching in the morning, and I got dropped off at the ice-rink and picked up there.
One of the nicest things about where I live is the ice-skating rink. I know it doesn't seem like much--but it is primarily an outdoor rink, so you feel like your outdoors even though it is screened in. The bad side is, it is only open from November to about March.
I pretty much self-taught myself to ice-skate. Well not really-if you count those lessons that I had when I was 4. I think it lasted oh about a month or so. And not because I was terrible, because I did as well as any other 4 year old would do on ice. But because the lessons ended, and I never got signed up again.
So my mom would take me some weekends. And then in middle school and high school, I went a lot. I think by senior year in high school; I went 2 or 3 times a week. I always wish that I did stick with ice-skating lessons--I am not terrible since I taught myself, I am not a wall hugger--and I don't really fall. Granted, I don't really know how to stop either. But at least I don't fall. Sometimes, it amazes me that I am able to ice-skate. Those that know me now, or have known me in my childhood...know that I have a tendency to lack...well...coordination. You got me. Sometimes, I amazed that I am able to walk from point A to point B. And if you have seen me walk, it is never in a straight line. Dancing is an abnomination. My attempts at gymnastics are pitiful. (considering, I still can't turn a cartwheel) Rollerblading is laughable. Rollerskating is hilarious (there was one time I flew over the guardrails) So, amazingly...ice-skating works for me.
I never actually go with anyone. Because sometimes, it is so much easier going by myself then spending the time, energy and effort convincing someone who clearly doesn't want to go, to go with me. I learned in middle school--it just isn't worth it. So, I declare ice-skating for the most part "me time" Time that I can just be myself. That I can collect all my thoughts. That I can relax. It is as theraputic as writing is or taking a bath. It just completely relaxes me.
And now that I teach-a lot of the kids that I teach have lessons there. So it becomes a pride thing--I can't fall, because I don't want to fall in front of my students. But I rarely fall to begin with. Yah...I am that good! Not really--but it is fun for me.
I remember in high school, I had so many ice-skating related dreams when I was sleeping. I wish I could go more than I do go.
But I am thankful that I am able to go as much as I am. Plus, I am putting my ice-skates to good use!

No comments: