I know. I know. Interesting subject. And yet, all three phrases are ACTUALLY tied together. Amazing!
First off, the people that know me well, and let me preface this statement, the people that I let get to know me well, or have known me for years and years and just know me because of all the years and times they have spent with me know that I have an obsessive compulsive personality in some respects. I am for the most part a private, selective person. I use selective lightly because I let people see what I want them to see or know, and keep the rest hidden and locked up inside.
Anyway, I'm getting too ahead of myself-yes, my OCD personality. Well, when I get hooked on a tv show (The Office, Saved by the Bell, etc), movie, book or even a food or thing, it pretty much is on my mind all the time. Or most of the time. I mean, I have eaten the same food every day for breakfast (except for Passover) for an entire year! Some of my friends at college, still admit that because of me, there is no way they have forgetten every line from 10 Things I Hate About You. Even my mom teases me about my obsession. So, once I am hooked, I am hooked.
I think that was a long enough preface.
Anyway, so last night I was watching The Office (obviously) and one of my favorite episodes was on about when "Ryan started the fire" (think Billy Joel here-and yes, that song WAS in the episode). They were playing Desert Island (the second phrase in my subject) and one of the questions was what five movies would you bring with you if you were on a desert island. (Yes, they skipped over the logistics of having electricity, a DVD player and a television...but I guess that is semantics).
That is a really hard question to answer. Mostly because these would be the movies that you would watch for the rest of your life. Now, I have an obsession personality and have no problem rewatching a movie again and again, as time as shown. But it was tough to narrow it down to five.
If push comes to shove:
1. 10 Things I Hate About You.
2. One of the Spiderman's (but not Spiderman 3, that was mediocore on the Spiderman list)
3. Perhaps Grease or Beauty and the Beast (not sure which would make the cut).
4. When Harry Met Sally.
5. Maybe the Princess Bride. Not sure though.
So in reality out of five there are only 3 definites that would actually make the cut.
Listing 5 books would be an easier task. Well sort of.
1. A Little Princess (and this would be my childhood copy as well, mashed potato stains on it and all)
2. Emily of New Moon
3. One of the Harry Potter Books (toss up between Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.) What would be really great is if by the time I am ever actually ON a desert island, they have books 1-7 in a single volume. I'll be set then because theoretically, it IS only one book.
4. I would take something from Mary Higgins Clark, but decided against because I do tend to get spooked easily, and there is nothing worse then being spooked on a desert island. So...the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book.
5. And last by not least: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. I know. I cry a little bit every time I read the book, and it breaks my heart all the time, but just the same, I love the book more each time I read it.
Tough questions huh? Anyone want to take a stab at answering it-although you don't necessarily have to be as long winded as I.
*disclaimer* My choices may change at a moments notice due to the fact that I am not on a desert island yet, so my answers may be different as the days/weeks/years progress.