Thursday, June 26, 2008

New York City Part II: Annie's Saga

So, if you are reading Part II, I'm assuming you have already read Part I. As a quick recap of Part I: Go see South Pacific.

If you want more details, and didn't read Part I yet, what are you waiting for? Go read it!

Well due to our air conditioning breaking and me being off, I stayed over in the city. I planned it perfectly. I was going to have breakfast at my favorite restaurant (Annie's); go to the Central Park Zoo, go to Barnes and Nobles and also get a famous BLT sandwich. (Next to bagels and pizza, there is nothing like a NYC BLT).

So, I started walking to Annies, which is only a block or so from the apartment. I walked there. No Annies. So then I backtracked and thought that I may have gotten the wrong street, wrong address, something...I mean the last time I was there must have been in March. I don't have the best sense of direction, so I definitely could see forgetting where it was. I walked all around the block. Went up to 80th street. Walked all over 2nd and 3rd Ave. Nothing. So, then, not believing that it was gone, because well it was a local establishment and they just don't walk away...

I went back to the apartment. Checked the address again. I was in the right place. It was quite possible I missed it. So, I went downstairs yet again and walked back to 3rd avenue where it was supposed to be. And then it hit me. My favorite restaurant which I have been going to for over 10 years-quite possibly 15 years, has went out of business. I was flabbergasted. And devasted. I felt like a real tragedy happened.

Well of course after realizing that Annie's went out of business, I was dumbfounded, I mean where do I eat now?? Never mind that it is the Upper East Side and there are a zillion restaurants, and quite possibly many of them serve breakfast, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't face trying a new restaurant. So I went to H&H and got a good NYC bagel. It wasn't the same. But it would do.

I remember years ago, my brother and I would flip coins to see if we would eat in his favorite restaurant (Googies) or mine (Annies). Googies closed a couple years ago-actually got renamed and all...but it isn't the same. Not too me. They did have fabulous frozen hot chocolate though. And now Annie's is gone.

For me, it is the end of an era.

No comments: